Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Now that the semester is over and I reflect back on what I have learned in this class, I realize that most of what I learned was discussed at the final. Comprehension; using jig saw reading, KWL charts, and reading that will interest the students. Vocabulary; vocal walls, limited number of words per week so you really have to focus on the essentials, and having constant exposure to the vocabulary. Oral Language; small group discussions, and opportunity for all students to have their voice heard. Writing; short assignments with no pressure, peer review, short stories with the vocabulary words to enhance student learning. Affective dimension; empowerment of the student affecting their confidence, student ownership, and bringing things from their world into our world. Critical Literacy; unlearning what we thought we learned and relearning it all over again, and again, and again, never stop learning. Differentiated learning; three tiered teaching, scaffolding, inquiry model shared collaboration independent IMSCI, I do we do you do.

It's amazing to think that in just a few weeks I will be teaching in a classroom. I will be expected to use all of these things to enhance student learning and literacy. I'm a little scared but mostly I feel empowered. I know that I have a lot of things to cover in a semester with these kids but having literacy as a part of my subject will just make teaching more fun. It gives me new ways to look at a subject, make it fresh, new and more vibrant.

Thanks to all my fellow students I learned a lot from you. I'm not sure if Melanie was trying to get us to take ownership of learning this subject or if it was a fortunate byproduct of her defending her dissertation. Either way it has worked out. Thank you for your brilliant minds brushing up against mine.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear that you are a little nervous that there is so much to do regarding literacy in the classroom. I'm like you though and know it can bring new light to the same old stuff. Good Luck with your student teaching. My hope that all the things we learned will come a little more naturally now that we are aware of the great need to not only be empowered ourselves, but as we empower our students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Byproduct, luck and knowing that you had brilliant classmates...I think we learn best from one another and I hope that the final was useful in cementing some knowledge, helping us group think and summarize together and leave you thinking about more ways to integrate this into your thinking, not tired like we often are after a writing assignment, wherein we wrap the knowledge in a nice essay and never revisit. Thanks for your insights this semester and good luck with teaching...

    ReplyDelete